Commissioned Sewing Project Terms and Conditions
House of Irwin Sewing Studio provides the following services: Commissioned sewing projects, Private sewing lessons, and Private coaching sewing sessions. You are contracting with us for one of these services.
Commissioned Sewing Project:
The initial consultation is free of charge and may take up to 45 minutes. There is no obligation to commission any work.
- House of Irwin has no obligation to commence work on any item until it receives from you a signed copy of this document together with the requested deposit payment and any materials that you are providing.
- Payment of the deposit will confirm your acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.
While it is sometimes easier to explain details over the phone, we do ask that you email us the details after the conversation to reiterate the key points so we can have the information handy for reference. If you have photographs or sketches, please attach them to your email as well.
We will do the same if we contact you with a question to confirm we understand each other. No work shall commence until email confirmation had been made.
- Information made available to me at the time of quotation is the sole basis for the creation of the quotations and are subject to change if there are any errors or omissions in this information.
- Later changes to your instructions will require extra work and so incur additional charges. Such additional work (and any other work which you instruct us to carry out other than that specified in this contract) will be charged at a rate of $30 per hour. Changes to your instructions will only be accepted and agreed upon by both parties via email exchange. Verbal changes to your instructions will not be accepted.
- House of Irwin will endeavour to meet all deadlines once told about them at the initial consultation and provided you co-operate fully in terms of making decisions quickly and making yourself available for item completion. Later changes to your instructions may affect the agreed upon deadline and must be agreed upon by both parties via email. However, unless it is stated explicitly in this contract, time shall not be of the essence in performance.
- If you have to cancel an appointment, scheduling a replacement may be affected by other commitments and will negate any deadline.
- House of Irwin shall not be liable for any default due to any act of God or other events beyond its reasonable control.
- Acceptance of urgent work is at the discretion of House of Irwin and will attract a premium charge.
- Once you choose House of Irwin Sewing Studio for your custom sewing project, a legally binding contract will be signed and a nonrefundable deposit of 50% of the estimated total will be paid and cleared prior to any further work being started.
- A copy of all contracts and estimates will be sent out within 4 days via email.
- All appointments must be booked in advance.
- Appointments may last up to an hour.
- Please telephone at least 24 hours in advance to cancel appointments; missed or late appointments will incur extra charges at the rate of $25 per hour.
Patterns & Materials:
- Where you supply patterns or materials, it is your responsibility to ensure that they are appropriate for the intended purpose. It is recommended that you wash the fabric before using it (subject to fabric choice). House of Irwin reserves the right to refuse to work with unsuitable materials.
- Patterns provided by you should correspond to actual measurements, not completed projects. If you supply the wrong pattern size, extra costs will apply to cover re-drafting the pattern or purchasing the correct sized pattern.
- You should buy no less than the quantity of fabric specified for the project. Inadequate yardage will prejudice our ability to complete the item as specified by the agreed upon project. We will return any large pieces of excess material to you with your completed project(s).
- All patterns and designs created by the House of Irwin are the sole rights of Kathy Irwin.
- House of Irwin sewing studio commonly has all required small tools for construction and the fee for use of these small tools is included. In the event that a specialty tool must be acquired, you are responsible for the cost of the item.
- EVERY MATERIAL AND NOTION USED IN THE CUSTOM PIECE IS PAID FOR SOLELY BY THE CLIENT. Material and Notion costs are not included in the labour fee or any other fee incurred.
- Shipping costs are also covered solely by the client.
- It is preferred that you decide on Materials and Notions prior to the start of the project. House of Irwin will help to research and source suppliers but will refrain from ordering materials until approval is received by email. This allows the client to direct the cost of a custom piece.
- Delays in any approvals may result in materials becoming no longer available. You may be required to choose less favourable substitute materials at a higher price.
- The client will receive copies of all invoices and receipts for every material and notion used in the custom piece project.
Cancellation of Order:
- If an order has been cancelled after 48 hours agreement has been made, 50% original deposit is NOT refundable. Thereafter,
- Late cancellation of an order will incur an appropriate fee at the rate $30 an hour for time spent together with charges for any patterns, fabrics, notions, or other items purchased on behalf of the customer, and any stock items used, at cost. This includes time spent on historical or fabric research. Cancellations made after the fabric has been cut to customer specifications will incur the full contract price (and we agree that in the event of such a cancellation the full contract price shall be deemed to be the quantum of damages). All items purchased on behalf of the customer will be returned to the customer on payment of the cancellation fee.
Final Payment, Custom Piece Pick Up and Shipping:
- Your custom piece will NOT be released until the final payment is cleared.
- After final approval and shipping/pick-up arrangements are made and documented, the final invoice total minus the 50% estimated deposit must be paid in full and must clear prior to item release.
- A copy of the final payment record will be sent via email.
- We are not responsible for goods that have not been shipped/picked-up after 45 days (calendar) from the date of confirmed completion (via email). Thereafter, the item(s) will be considered abandoned and cannot be collected.
Shipping Custom Piece:
- Shipping rates, insurance, delivery confirmation, tracking, and cost of shipping materials are paid by the client. The amount charged is based solely on the carrier’s current charges. These costs apply to the invoice, documented, paid in full as and cleared prior to shipment of a custom piece.
- House of Irwin requires delivery confirmation, tracking and insurance.
Custom Piece Pickup:
Arrangements can be made for pickup of the custom piece once final payment has been cleared. Confirmation of pickup details will be sent via email.
Custom Piece Delivery:
Arrangements can be made for delivery of custom piece once final payment has been cleared.
- Delivery charges will be based on kilometres driven; RETURN trip from House of Irwin to the delivery address.
- Delivery charges are free within 5 kilometres of House of Irwin Sewing Studio (RETURN trip).
- An additional mileage rate of $0.58 per kilometre over 5 kilometres to a maximum of 20 kilometres of travel will be applied to the invoice and must clear prior to dropping See item #2 above.
- Custom made or specially ordered pieces are created especially for, and based on, the exact requirements of each individual client and therefore may not be returned or exchanged.
- House of Irwin must be notified within 3 days of receipt of delivery of any alleged defect or failure on our part to comply with your instructions. If no notification has been made, it shall be deemed that the item(s) received has been made in accordance with the instructions provided are free from any defect and that you have accepted them. Where payment is made upon collection it shall be deemed that the item(s) received has been made in accordance with your instructions are free from any defect and that you have accepted them. All other warranties, whether expressed or implied, by statute or otherwise are excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- To return a custom made order, your return package should include the item, along with any packaging and documents that came with it. Please ship by local post office or carrier; have the item fully insured for the purchase price. Returns should be shipped to House of Irwin, 171 Tait St., Cambridge, Ontario N1S 3G1. Please note that the House of Irwin cannot be responsible for any shipping charges or insurance fees for refunded items. Ask for a return receipt for confirmation that your shipment has reached us. Alternatively, if you choose to drop off your item in person to House of Irwin, an appointment will be required. Please contact email@example.com to make arrangements.
- Once the item is received by the House of Irwin and we have had an opportunity to review and verify the custom made orders, we will issue a refund in the same way payment was made, unless otherwise noted and agreed to by both parties. Please allow up to seven business days upon our receipt of the returned item for this process to take place.
- In the event of any breach of contract, your remedies shall be limited to damages and the quantum of damages for any breach shall be limited to the price of the item(s) made by House of Irwin and, if not included in the price, the cost of reasonably equivalent materials (excluding delivery charges).
HST is applicable to all services rendered and will be added to final invoice.
- Payment is accepted by one or a combination of the following means: Credit card, Apple Pay, PayPal, e-transfer, check (must be cleared before the start of the commission), Cash.